Change is essential for organizations to remain competitive both in the market place and as an employer that attracts top talent. How the change is communicated, implemented and managed is the key to successful organizational change.
93% of companies are going through or are in a kind of change
Up to 70% of change initiatives fail
Change management is the introduction and implementation of transformational strategies, applied at the individual and organizational level, in order to drive a business or organization towards achieving their strategic goals.
There are a variety of factors that may drive an organization towards a period of change. These can come from both internal and external sources including:
- Creating competitive advantage
- Repositioning in the market-place
- Growth, mergers or acquisitions
- Legal, political or economic change
The most important weapon that an organization has to weather the change storm is its employees.
With engaged employees that understand the reasons for the change and how it will be implemented, change initiatives are more likely to be successful. However, a disengaged, anxious and resistant workforce is a common challenge.
People can resist change for many reasons such as misunderstanding; lack of trust; low resilience for change; disagreement with the choices; or fear about the effect it will have on them personally.
Ensuring that employees do not resist the change is vital for employee wellbeing and organizational performance. It is therefore essential to manage organizational change appropriately at an organizational level and to consider employees appropriately at an individual level. The entire workforce must feel empowered and involved in the change in order for it to succeed.
So what practical steps can you take to guide your people through successful change?
The very first step of a successful program involves identifying the need for change and then clearly articulating the vision and goal(s) that this change is designed to achieve. You will need to conduct a thorough audit across the organization to determine where you are now, where you want to be and where/what the gaps are. This will also give you a benchmark to look back on and measure how far you have come later in the process.
It is crucial that you engage employees from the outset of any change program, so transparency throughout is essential.
Companies and employees alike cite poor communication as a primary reason for viewing change as difficult or uncertain.
To embed the benefits of the change long-term, it is important to continually review progress and refocus the vision where necessary. Refreshing the program regularly will keep you on track and ensure that your change strategies are being implemented correctly. Employee engagement surveys containing a qualitative element will provide that extra layer of information via a confidential and impartial medium and can even help you to crowd-source ideas from those involved in day-to-day operations.
Don’t forget to celebrate success throughout the change journey and remember to share those highs with your entire workforce. Finally, a greater awareness of and appreciation for the value brought by different talents and styles can be the key to taking success far beyond the implementation of change.
By working with Thomas we can help you to:
- Identify where you are starting from, areas of challenge and assist in putting the right steps in place to help particular areas of the organization cope with change
- Equip your leaders to be able to navigate the organization through the change successfully
- Build and develop internal relationships and communication so that the dynamics and communication channels can support the change
- Ensure your employees feel committed, engaged, motivated, understood and involved
- Improve and monitor engagement and retention of your employees
- Reduce resistance to your organizational change
- Identify skills gaps so that recruitment during the change can be more targeted
- Evaluate your progress and demonstrate ROI/ROE to your stakeholders
- Overall, we will help you to boost engagement, communication, retention, motivation and certainty during a challenging period for your organization.
At Thomas we can work with you to help ensure that your workforce is engaged, resulting in success and new beginnings for individuals and your company.