Merle is the President of Thomas International Inc. and currently manages operations in Canada and the United States.
Merle is the President of Thomas International Inc. and currently manages operations in Canada and the United States. Thomas is a global business that specializes in providing work-based assessment tools and solutions to business leaders that transform the performance of their people and teams – and deliver an immediate impact on their organizations.
Merle takes an active role in developing new products and programs and is respected for her knowledge, insights, and expertise as an experienced facilitator that engages and challenges participants to reach new heights and enhance their performance. She regularly consults with Thomas clients on the development of their senior leadership teams and aligning team culture with their business strategy to achieve measurable business outcomes. She has developed a team coaching process called “Executive Conversations” that provides executive teams with a unique learning experience to enhance executive team collaboration and performance.
Summary of Professional History
Prior to arriving in Canada in 1988, Merle spent 15 years in education at the secondary school and board level in South Africa where she developed her passion for teaching and her appetite for continuous learning and development. In Canada, Merle broadened her education and re-invented her career -moving into professional selling and sales management with a national medical device company, an international consulting firm, and with Thomas International as Vice President of Business Development.
She has been immersed in the Thomas assessment business since 1997; first managing sales, then acquiring the Canadian business in 2002 and going on to found the USA business in 2003. She has built two financially secure and fiscally responsible organizations with highly engaged teams who have shared values and a commitment to provide exceptional value and service to national and multi-national clients across a wide variety of sectors and markets. A new interest for Merle is the expansion of Thomas from the corporate world into the education field to positively impact young people by raising their self-awareness through assessment and helping them to explore their strengths and career aspirations.
Business and Organizational Results
- Working with clients to use the Thomas assessments to refine their talent acquisition processes, reduce turnover, and increase quality of hire
- Delivering leadership workshops that contribute to measureable employee engagement
- Facilitating executive coaching and 360 feedback projects that positively impact team performance and organizational effectiveness
- Leading the integration of Thomas’ assessment technology with the Oracle/Taleo Platform, the world leader in online talent management, to help a large national client positively impact high volume recruitment and measurably decrease turnover
- Creating, designing, and developing a highly successful team development process and train-the-trainer program for applying the Thomas PPA assessment to team effectiveness
- Managing Job Benchmark Studies for clients to build recruitment and hiring strategies for key roles
- Developing the highly impactful Thomas TEIQue (Emotional Intelligence) Certification Training
- Program and related “Emotionally Intelligent Leadership” workshop
Certifications and Professional Qualifications:
- National Teaching Certificate (Technikon College, Natal, South Africa)
- BA Degree Equivalence (York University, Toronto, ON, Canada)
- Certified Assessment Practitioner: Thomas International Personal Profile (PPA), General Intelligence Assessment (GIA) and Trait Emotional Intelligence (TEIQue)
- Quota Sales Certification in Quota B-to-B Sales Training and Quota Q.I.S.